No matter what niche or industry you are in, a membership site is an excellent way to build a community. However, actually creating one can be a bit of a challenge if you do not have the right tools for the job. This is where Kartra membership sites comes in. Want to create one? Kartra gives you all the tools to do that quickly and easily.
What Is A Membership Site?
A membership site is a website where visitors can sign up to get access to the content created for its members. These types of sites are great for times when you want to share content with just the people that are members – such as a paid online course, a private club, etc.
Quick Notes About Membership Sites In Kartra
Before we get into the “how to”, I wanted to quickly cover a few things about this tool:
- The option to create membership sites is available in all Kartra plans. Even the cheapest starter plan allows you to create up to 2 of these sites. Kartra replaces the need for creating a WordPress site or something similar.
- You have the ability to create sections and sub-sections to help categorize your content on the site.
- When you add posts to your site, you can choose to post them immediately, drip them over a period of time or a mixture of both.
- You can set up different access levels to your site. Most likely this can be based on how you price your content. You probably see this most commonly on membership sites that have bronze, silver and gold levels and certain content gets unlocked based on the member’s level.
- The content you can create and share can be just about any format – videos, articles, downloadable files, resource pages, podcast audio, etc.
- Advertising banners. Want to supplement your membership site’s income, you can put banner ads on your pages to help do that.
- If you set up multiple membership sites, you can set up a portal page that links to all of your membership sites. A great way to cross promote your sites with your current members. Not only that, if a person is a member of multiple membership sites that you own, they can just go to this portal and get access to them without having to juggle usernames and passwords for each. This portal also allows your visitors to easily order access to any of the sites that they do not already have access to.
- Any files that you need to share are hosted by Kartra. Very easy to get your downloadable files out there and shared!
- Thanks to Kartra’s other features, you can do things like creating an affiliate program using Kartra for your membership site signups.
How To Create A Kartra Membership Site
Start The Site
When you first log into your Kartra account (click here to get a 14 day trial for only $1), you will see a list of options down the left and side of your screen, one of these options is “My Memberships”:
After you click this, you are going to see a green button on the right hand side of the screen that says “+ Membership”. Clicking this button will allow you to start the process of putting together your new website.
Give Your Site A Name
Next, a popup light-box is going to show up on your screen that allows you to type in the name of your new site. For our purposes here, I chose “Test” as the name since we are just demonstrating how to create the site.
Configuring Your Site
Now this is where the fun starts – configuring! We start with membership details such as the name and description of the site. You can also give it a url of the sales promo page which is basically the page that you send traffic to in order to hopefully convert visitors into a member.
You can also set it up so that users either need a user and password to access the content or just a url without a password:
Got all this done? Click on “Save and Next”.
Create Your Content Sections
This is where your site is going to really start coming together because this is where Kartra’s powerful page builder gets launched and you can really get creative on how your site looks. Once you click on the blue “Builder” button, you will be presented with a quick one minute tutorial that points out where each option is and basically how it works. When it is your first time doing this, definitely take that short amount of time to understand the tutorial. Once you are done with the tutorial, you land here:
I love how this page is set up because it makes it so intuitive to set up.
Want to change the logo? Just hover over the logo and you are given an “upload logo” link.
Want to add content? Take a look at the blue sidebar in the image above. There are three sections:
- Navigational Menu – this is where you can set up your menu.
- Sidebar contents – drag any of the elements from the sidebar section into the sidebar content section and then edit it as needed.
- Post contents – drag any of the elements from this section to the post content section and edit it there.
As you can seem you have all the elements that you need here in order to create the page.
Up in the top right hand corner of the screen, there is also a green “Actions” button that allows you to save your work, see a preview and exit.
Choose A Template
Got your page built? Save and Exit and you are presented with a number of templates to choose from in order to help enhance the look and design of the pages.
This is cool because not only does it give you a number of templates to choose from, but it also allows you to choose from a number of different color schemes. After you choose this and click the same and exit button, you are brought back to the main screen where you can click “save and next” to get to the next step.
Enable Or Disable Comments
This quick section gives you the option to turn on or off comments. Whatever you prefer. If you are just starting and do not have any content created yet for the site, you can choose to configure later.
Membership Access Levels
This is where you configure all the different access level you may have.
Setting Up A Help Desk And Customer Support
When you have a membership site, you are going to want some way for members to contact you or someone you assign to manage site issues, member’s questions, support, etc. This step is where you can configure this. There are a few different options for this:
- No support – this is how you may want to set up a free membership site.
- Kartra help desk – this will allow the site to use the Kartra help desk tool.
- External – this is where your support link will go to an external page or email.
When a new user signs up, you are going to want to send out a welcome email to show them how to access the content, where to start and to just say “thanks for signing up!” All the email stuff is built into Kartra so this is super simple to set up.
Finally, we have the automations section. This is where you can set up the following:
- Assigning tags to members.
- Setting up an email list to automatically be subscribed to when a person becomes a member.
- Subscribing to sequences based on access levels.
And that’s it! All you need to do now is load up your membership site with lots of content that your members will love.
Charging Money To Be A Member Of Your Site
Now that you have your site up and running, you probably want it to at least pay for itself and give you a nice profit on top – this is very easy to set up in Kartra. Once you finish setting up your website, you are given the option to turn your membership access into a “product”.
Simply click on the “Go to my products” button presented to you after the site is created and follow the directions on the screen to set up your membership access product, pricing, etc.
Now all that is left to do is get out there and promote it and bring in some members!
Want to try it out for yourself? Get Kartra for 14 days for only $1 by clicking here and signing up.